Indoboardgames.com
 
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:02 pm

All times are UTC + 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sultans of the East (with an early game rule)
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am
Posts: 2379
Location: Depok, Jawa Barat
Dear IBG members, cuma mau kasih update aja sedikit:
---
Judul: Sultans of the East
Tema: Menjelang kedatangan Portugis ke Samudera Hindia (1490-1590)
Pemain: 2-4 orang
Waktu: 90-120 menit

Tujuan: win by accumulating prestige points through completing specific missions required by the Sultan, completing open missions, building infrastructures, and opening new lands/trading ports.
* yg terakhir ini masih dihitung play-balance-nya

Mekanik permainan: sementara ini ada ship movement, infrastructure development, trading with 4 types of goods (fixed price, mau diganti jadi variable pricing ala rondel Navegador), .
* sedang dipertimbangkan jadi rondel +mission cards

Total masih sekitar 35% done, play testing menggunakan komponen dari Caylus utk resources dan workers, pinjem komponen dari Hamburgum/Navegador utk kapalnya.

---
sudah play testing: 2 players done in 60 minutes with 4 missions, 3 players done in 90 minutes with 8 missions
---
beberapa gambar, maaf buram cuma pake kamera bb:

1. Riset Sejarah Dikit
Image

2. Konsep awal
Image

3. Playing Board
Image

4. Cards Design Concepts
Image

5. Cards printed in Art paper
Image

---
sangat ditunggu komen dan sarannya.. :rg_thumb:

_________________
Sebagian dari titipanNya: Koleksi - 160 Judul Image BGG Copper Microbadge

Complete Set: Memoir'44, CC Ancients. 58 GMT Games
My son, Memoir'44 2012 Champ: Muhammad Hasan Izzuddin
Sultans of the East BG in-progress


Last edited by dahusband on Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am
Posts: 2379
Location: Depok, Jawa Barat
Introduction

The year is 1490, the Sultanate of Granada is about to fall. Spain and Portugal is already preparing to expand their empires to the uncharted waters, the Terra Incognita.

Meanwhile, you play as one of many Nusantara's merchants returning from the exotic lands of the Middle East to start a lucrative trading network from Yemen to India and Nusantara and as far away as China. However, you're not alone. The Portuguese, by the Treaty of Tordesillas, were given the other half of the unknown world and were also looking for a direct route to the Oriental East. If the Portuguese succeed in establishing a direct route to the spice islands, the Venetians will be out of business. The stage is set for you and other merchants to compete for a trading control and political+military alliances in this region. You must convince the Sultans of the East that you're a better partner to make it through this turbulent time.

---
Game and Player Setup:

1. Each player will be given one ship of their chosen color that can carry up to 6 different types of goods as well as 4 gold coins to start the quest,
2. Each player will start their quest at the port of al-Muhalla (present day Yemen),
3. Each player take a cube of their color to mark their respective victory point starting at zero,
4. Each port on the gameboard is filled up with its designated type of goods (grey: Oriental goods, blue: Nusantara goods, yellow: Hindi goods, red: Arabia goods) to the maximum number of boxes available (as printed on the gameboard; ranging from 1 to 4 boxes)
5. Place a black round marker at "1" and a a phase marker at "A"
6. Shuffle all four decks of cards (Sultan's Favor deck, Resources and Workers deck, Portuguese forts and actions deck, and Sultan's Missions and Envoy deck) and place it face-down near the gameboard

---
Playing The Game

a. The game consists of 8 phases (A through H)
b. Each phase have 6 rounds except phases D and H
c. Each round can be spent by players to do the following actions: sailing, trading, meeting the Sultans, completing a mission, or building infrastructures,
d. At phase D the top most card from the Resources and Workers deck is flipped to show the appropriate resource regeneration (refill) according to its type of goods, then discard the card,
e. At phase H the next card from the Resources and Workers deck is flipped to show the appropriate increase of skilled-laborers "graduated" from schools, then discard the card,
f. Return the round and phase markers to its starting position when they reach the end,
g. Prestige points are scored during the game by completing a mission and/or building infrastructures, note: building in each of the Sultan's realm can only be done after gaining the favor of that Sultan,
h. The game ends when the port of Melaka is retaken from the Portuguese by any player during the game or the Portuguese build its fort in Macau and were not freed after 3 phases (marked on its card).

---
rules shall be added, modified, and revised on this post.. :book:
---

_________________
Sebagian dari titipanNya: Koleksi - 160 Judul Image BGG Copper Microbadge

Complete Set: Memoir'44, CC Ancients. 58 GMT Games
My son, Memoir'44 2012 Champ: Muhammad Hasan Izzuddin
Sultans of the East BG in-progress


Last edited by dahusband on Fri May 06, 2011 9:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am
Posts: 2379
Location: Depok, Jawa Barat
Card Decks
* note: disain dalam bahasa Indonesia karena dua bulan yg lalu ada SMP swasta yang berminat utk promote soft-launching, jadi sy sesuaikan bahasanya.. Sultan's Mission Cards Deck blm selesai disain..

Image

keterangan:
kiri-atas= workers and resources deck (left: card-back, right: face-up)
kanan-atas= portuguese forts and actions deck (left: card-back, right: face-up)
bawah= sultans' favor deck (left: card-back, right: face-up)

_________________
Sebagian dari titipanNya: Koleksi - 160 Judul Image BGG Copper Microbadge

Complete Set: Memoir'44, CC Ancients. 58 GMT Games
My son, Memoir'44 2012 Champ: Muhammad Hasan Izzuddin
Sultans of the East BG in-progress


Last edited by dahusband on Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 pm 
Offline
Forum Staff
Forum Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:24 am
Posts: 3750
Location: Batam, Indonesia
tipe game gw banget sih ini he he he :euro:
sangat ditunggu rules nya :rg_thumb: :rg_thumb: :rg_thumb:

_________________
Say NO to Counterfeit, Fake, Pirated Boardgames! Buy Original!!

Image BGG Silver Boardgame Collector [Profile | Collection] - 287 titles
Adult Fans of LEGO [Set Collection] - 19 sets

Lapak Original Boardgames, Toys, Lego:
Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:43 pm
Posts: 15
wuih mantab! ditunggu gan rulesnya

btw itu software yg buat bikin kartunya pake apa gan?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:14 am
Posts: 1417
Anjrit keren prototypenya.

Tiap kali liat yang model2 gini gue ingetnya Joao Franco mulu :lol:

_________________
My Gaming-related Blog
My Smallish Board Game Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 am
Posts: 2379
Location: Depok, Jawa Barat
voltesv wrote:
tipe game gw banget sih ini he he he :euro: sangat ditunggu rules nya :rg_thumb: :rg_thumb: :rg_thumb:

rules-nya saya cicil ya, sementara bukan format pdf, tapi sy ketik langsung aja, nanti setelah diberi masukan oleh teman2 baru sy revisi dan pdf-kan..

ichinisanshi wrote:
wuih mantab! ditunggu gan rulesnya. btw itu software yg buat bikin kartunya pake apa gan?

baru sy update player and game setup dulu.. cuma pake ad*be illustrat*r dan photosh*p bro..

Sevej wrote:
Anjrit keren prototypenya. Tiap kali liat yang model2 gini gue ingetnya Joao Franco mulu :lol:

thx bro sevej ini masih cupu banget.. hehe.. btw: sy juga mau masukkan faktor Egyptian Mamluk yg ikut merugi akibat ekspansi Portugis ke wilayah ini..

---
heads up guys: sedikit game and player initial setup.. :book:

_________________
Sebagian dari titipanNya: Koleksi - 160 Judul Image BGG Copper Microbadge

Complete Set: Memoir'44, CC Ancients. 58 GMT Games
My son, Memoir'44 2012 Champ: Muhammad Hasan Izzuddin
Sultans of the East BG in-progress


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:55 am
Posts: 3212
Location: Jakarta Selatan
Okeeeh, finally have time. So, here's my piece ;).

dahusband wrote:
Introduction

The year is 1490, the Sultanate of Granada is about to fall. Spain and Portugal is already preparing to expand their empires to the uncharted waters, the Terra Incognita.

Meanwhile, you play as one of many Nusantara's merchants returning from the exotic lands of the Middle East to start a lucrative trading network from Yemen to India and Nusantara and as far away as China. However, you're not alone. The Portuguese, by the Treaty of Tordesillas, were given the other half of the unknown world and were also looking for a direct route to the Oriental East. If the Portuguese succeed in establishing a direct route to the spice islands, the Venetians will be out of business. The stage is set for you and other merchants to compete for a trading control and political+military alliances in this region. You must convince the Sultans of the East that you're a better partner to make it through this turbulent time.


Not really my favorite theme, seems just like another Euro with trading and shipping (believe me, there's already a LOT of that in boardgame world), jadi kurang unik untuk menarik orang. But, it's a good start sebagai euro dengan tema Indonesia (or at least Nusantara). :rg_thumb:


dahusband wrote:
Game and Player Setup:

1. Each player will be given one ship of their chosen color that can carry up to 6 different types of goods as well as 4 gold coins to start the quest,
2. Each player will start their quest at the port of al-Muhalla (present day Yemen),
3. Each player take a cube of their color to mark their respective victory point starting at zero,
4. Each port on the gameboard is filled up with its designated type of goods (grey: Oriental goods, blue: Nusantara goods, yellow: Hindi goods, red: Arabia goods) to the maximum number of boxes available (as printed on the gameboard; ranging from 1 to 4 boxes)


So far so good, but, is there any reason untuk oriental goodsnya grey, not green? Aneh aja yg laen primary color tapi ini nyempal sendiri. Toh jg bukan melambangkan specific things (like stone=gray, wood=brown, etc).

dahusband wrote:
5. Place a black round marker at "1" and a a phase marker at "A"
6. Shuffle all four decks of cards (Sultan's Favor deck, Resources and Workers deck, Portuguese forts and actions deck, and Sultan's Missions and Envoy deck) and place it face-down near the gameboard


If possible, taruh posisi decknya di gameboard. Kecuali emang ga ada tempat lagi. Biar ringkes ;). Aku liat sih masih ada lokasi2 di air yg kosong tuh. Semakin ringkes kan semakin terlihat elegan


dahusband wrote:
Playing The Game

a. The game consists of 8 phases (A through H)
b. Each phase have 6 rounds except phases D and H
c. Each round can be spent by players to do the following actions: sailing, trading, meeting the Sultans, completing a mission, or building infrastructures,


Eh, itu satu round bisa ngelakuin sebanyak itu ato milih? Mustinya milih ya, but who knows.

dahusband wrote:
d. At phase D the top most card from the Resources and Workers deck is flipped to show the appropriate resource regeneration (refill) according to its type of goods, then discard the card,
e. At phase H the next card from the Resources and Workers deck is flipped to show the appropriate increase of skilled-laborers "graduated" from schools, then discard the card,


Oke, phase D dan H adalah refill dan necessary things. Berarti A-C dan E-G ngga ada efeknya selain 6 round per phase? More on that, is there any reason kenapa 6 round per phase? Kok ngga langsung dibikin aja phasenya A-B-C-D, dimana phase A 18 round, phase B refill, phase C 18 round, phase D graduate?

dahusband wrote:
f. Return the round and phase markers to its starting position when they reach the end,
g. Prestige points are scored during the game by completing a mission and/or building infrastructures, note: building in each of the Sultan's realm can only be done after gaining the favor of that Sultan,
h. The game ends when the port of Melaka is retaken from the Portuguese by any player during the game or the Portuguese build its fort in Macau and were not freed after 3 phases (marked on its card).


Hmm, jadi 1 putaran phase itu belum selesai yah? Kira2 biasanya waktu game end, itu berapa kali putaran phase? Harapanmu berapa? Kalo dikira2 misal 1 round itu 1 minutes per player (belum APnya), dengan rata2 4 player berarti 1 putaran phase A-H itu aja udah 144 mins (18x4 + 18x4, tanpa menghitung phase D dan H) lho :o. Dan pada waktu end game, ada ngga model2 sejenis end game scoring?


Well, itu sih, hehe. Sori ya kalo banyak kritiknya, emang aku rada2 kritis soal rule :D. Tapi semoga ini bener2 bisa jadi game full. Oh ya, tentang gambar, bagus juga pake gambar2 asli gitu, tapi as design perspective, rada kurang functional di mata. Soalnya wording2 cardsnya terlihat nyaru sama gambar belakangnya. Makanya rata2 game yg pake card itu selalu ada bordernya, dan ada location khusus buat rule cardsnya, dan picturenya biasanya hanya 1/2 kartu.

_________________
By the darkness I was laid, by the blood I am raised.

THE OUTPOST Board Game Price List

BGG Profile | Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East (with an early game rule)
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 pm
Posts: 1229
Wah, keren nih sampe ada research-nya juga. IMHO tema-nya cukup menarik koq, kebetulan gw suka bgt sama sejarah, jadi demen yang kaya gini. Tapi memang bukan suatu hal yang baru karena sudah ada yang pake tema yang mirip2 aja.

Kalo masukan dari gw sih cuma satu: keep it simple. Menurut gw simplicity itu penting supaya game-nya accessible ke lebih banyak gamer. Memang untuk heavy gamer mungkin ga setuju sama apa yang gw bilang ini, tapi dicari balance-nya aja antara kompleksitas dan simplicity. Kalau sudah beberapa kali testplay, coba dilihat aja kalau ada step-step yang bisa di-gabungkan / di-sederhanakan.

Well, semoga membantu. Ditunggu beta testing / demo rulebook-nya. Really hope ini bisa jadi full boardgame di kemudian hari.

_________________
Just a Man With His Hobbies
( BGG Profile | Collection )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sultans of the East (with an early game rule)
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm
Posts: 4004
Location: DKI Jakarta
Wow.... salut buat bro dahusband... keren nih, walau masih tahap sketch and process but well done up to now. ga bisa kasih masukan banyak tp bakal buka tangan lebar buat jadi playtester...hahahaha....
sebenernya sempet juga kepikiran mo buat board game sendiri. tp masih nubie dan kurang pengalaman... hehehehe....
semangaaat... :hormat:

_________________
"I am the Harbinger of Menoth, his vessel on Caen. Through me the creator speaks, and he has much to say."
- The Harbinger of Menoth to the Synod-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BG Lineups | Wishlist
fortheloveofthegame


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by TBF Photoshop Forum